Friday, July 17, 2009

First Night



We anxiuosly waited for shift change to be with Noah. We arrived promptly at 0830 to be buzzed into the PCICU. Disappointingly, the RN asked us if we could wait 10 more minutes. Well, after 30 mins had passed we called back to the unit to see if they had forgoten about us. Luckily, they had not and we ready for us. Once the door opened we were greeted by the 3rd shift Dr. who informed us of Noah's experience. Apparently he remember how to remove his breathing tube and NG tube and did. That was a goal for later this night, but Noah is an overachiever! His labs, oygen, and breathing rate remained well so the tube was left out. The Dr. also said his first words were, "my throat hurts!" and "milk," reply, "not yet." Immediately followed by two other choices: water and apple juice with the same answer.
It was a pleasure to hear this and we quickly washed our hands and ran to his bedside. His coarse voice was comforting and we, once again, shared some family time. In his right hand he had a tight grip on Thomas the Train. We placed his GeoTraxx at the foot of his bed, along with a craft from the atrium and some books tableside. Given his awakening Silvia and I have started shifts to be with him. I am here with him tonight and he is doing marvelous. Before Silvia departed she tucked him in and we said goodnight prayers together.
Waiting at his side I am reminded of some all to familar hospital memories. The smell of tape, monitor alarms, bubling water in the nasal cannula snd pleurvac. I raelly want to play with him!
At 1020, Noah finally had a deeper sleep and let go of Thomas. Shortly therafter I heard some light snoring. This made me smile. At 11 he had a startling jump that awakened him. I read him Go Train Go and he wanted more. So we started watching Cars! Finally we get to play. This did not last long as he is just too worn out. He has been twilighting in and out so I have Cars paused and books on either side of me. He is doing well and we are doing better by the hour too. Thank you to all for your love, support, and prayers. Will talk again soon.

No comments: